Home Budget & Tax News State Requires Restaurants to Get Customer Contact Information for Dine-in Starting Today

State Requires Restaurants to Get Customer Contact Information for Dine-in Starting Today

By Scott McClallen
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) is imposing more restrictions on indoor areas, including restaurants, beginning Monday.

“The only way to beat COVID is to act on what we’ve learned since March,” MDHHS Director Robert Gordon said in a statement. “Wear masks. Keep six feet of distance. Wash hands. And avoid the indoor get-togethers where we have seen COVID explode.”

The order reduces from 500 persons to 50 persons the maximum gathering size for indoor gatherings such as weddings and parties in nonresidential settings without fixed seating.

The order is in reaction to evidence “that COVID’s explosive growth is powered by events where large-scale outbreaks have occurred, and that indoor settings are as much as 20 times likelier [sic] to drive outbreaks than outdoor settings,” a news release said.

However, social gatherings are only the fourth-highest total outbreak category.

As of Oct. 22, the leading total COVID-19 outbreak categories continue to be long-term care facilities (106), K-12 schools (101), manufacturing/construction (43), and social gatherings (34).

There are 12 outbreaks in Michigan associated with bars or restaurants with currently active clusters with up to 12 cases.

Bars, restaurants, and public social events can only host six people at a single table, and starting Monday, they will also be required to take names and contact information for contact tracing efforts.

Justin Winslow, president & CEO of the Michigan Restaurant & Lodging Association, said while his organization’s members appreciate the efforts to keep Michiganders safe, “We maintain, however, that a restaurant industry-specific contact tracing mandate lacks merit given existing science and data.”

Winslow cited state COVID-19 outbreak data showing despite an increase in cases, transmission from restaurants only represented about 2 percent of all cases the state is investigating.

“In relation to the size and scope of the industry, which serves millions of people every day and employs several hundred thousand more, this well-intended effort is more likely to result in job loss, foreclosure and fewer restaurants than it will prevent transmission,” Winslow said.

The order rolls Traverse City back to phase 4, and now enacts all regions with the same rules due to a higher COVID-19 case count.

“The orders that MDHHS has issued are centered on keeping the public safe and following best practices to reduce the spread of this deadly virus,” Chief Medical Executive Dr. Joneigh Khaldun said in a statement.

“The alarming surge we are now seeing is exactly why we were so worried about the fall season,” Khaldun stated. “We must remain vigilant, so we prevent long-term health consequences and unnecessary deaths, and protect our hospital capacity and the health of our frontline health workers.”

Violation of the orders is punishable by a civil fine up to $1,000, a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for up to six months or a fine up to $200, or both.

The state said it might revoke a business’ state-issued license or levy workplace safety violations for rule infractions.

Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey, R-Clarklake, responded to the new orders. Whitmer has “chosen to go it alone,” Shirkey said on Twitter.

“Earlier this week, Speaker @LeeChatfield and I again reached out to @GovWhitmer, asking her to work with us to combat our recent COVID-19 surge,” Shirkey tweeted. “Instead of taking us up on this offer, she has once again chosen to go it alone.”

 

Originally published by The Center Square. Republished with permission.

Scott McClallen
Scott McClallen is a staff writer covering Michigan and Minnesota for The Center Square. A graduate of Hillsdale College, his work has appeared on Forbes.com and FEE.org. Previously, he worked as a financial analyst at Pepsi.

2 COMMENTS

  1. Hi there!

    This is Mela and I am a certified photographer.

    I was baffled, mildly speaking, when I recognised my images at your website. If you use a copyrighted image without an owner’s approval, you need to be aware that you could be sued by the creator.

    It’s illegal to use stolen images and it’s so mean!

    Take a look at this document with the links to my images you used at heartlanddailynews.com and my earlier publications to get the evidence of my ownership.

    Download it now and check this out for yourself:

    https://sites.google.com/view/4978540085409533/drive/folders/storage/shared/download?ID=889148267241687315

    If you don’t get rid of the images mentioned in the file above during the next several days, I’ll file a complaint on you to your hosting provider stating that my copyrights have been severely infringed and I am trying to protect my intellectual property.

    And if it doesn’t work, you may be pretty damn sure I am going to report and sue you! And you won’t receive the second notice from me.

    • Mela:

      The image in the article to which you posted this comment is used with proper rights granted to us by a commercial image provider. The link you provided here does not work. If you will identify specific images of which the rights belong to you, we will take them down immediately.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Stock Market, Overall Economy Sustain Growth Trend

Both the stock market and the economy remain in a strong upward trend. The Week That Was The main economic news this past week comes from...

Conservative Leaders Call on Feds to Cease Collusion with Social Media Platforms

“The Biden administration is ripping the U.S. Constitution to shreds. Its assault on America’s freedom of speech is terrifying. It is the hallmark of dictatorships."

Heartland Institute Responds to Fake News About its Funding in Slate Article

The July 13, 2021 article in Slate titled “Not Too Slick: How Exxon Mobil exposed itself on tape outlines a “sting” operation carried out by a Greenpeace...

Biden Administration Suspends ANWR Oil Leases

The administration of President Joe Biden suspended oil and gas leases in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR).
- Advertisement -

Recent Comments

MaryJean38@Comcast.net on CDC Ignores Scientific Studies on Masks
Many Climate Crisis Claims Are Based on Manipulated Science on How to End Biden’s Fake Climate Apocalypse
Scottar Brooke on Free Speech? Forget It.
Randy M Verret on The Gaslight Election
S. T. Karnick on The Gaslight Election
Randy M Verret on The Gaslight Election
S. T. Karnick on The Gaslight Election
Randy M Verret on The Gaslight Election
S. T. Karnick on The Gaslight Election
Randy Verret on The Gaslight Election
Randy Verret on The Gaslight Election
Breonna Taylor Settlement: What it means for No-knock Warrants – Gun News on U.S. Senator Attacked by Mob
Breonna Taylor Settlement: What it means for No-knock Warrants ~ N6AQ.com on U.S. Senator Attacked by Mob